Wednesday, June 6, 2007

DATELINE: carlsbad, nm                                                    

Author: Andy

I drove the first leg today after we had lunch at Denny's. Ilteris had his first Grand Slam Breakfast ever. The scenery today has been interesting. We drove through wide open fields covered in low-lying brush and dotted with operating oil wells. It's almost hypnotic and vaguely poignant how they rhythmically rotate unattended with nothing around them.

We passed through Andrews, TX which, as per a big sign at the edge of town, supports God, Country and Free Enterprise. Ilteris noted that there seemed to be a church on every block. Then, just as soon as it had snuck up on us, it faded away. Such are the towns of West Texas.

Last night I ventured under the dashboard of Cannonball 2 and took a stab at replacing the fuse for the cigarette lighter. My efforts were successful, and as such I was able to bring my FM transmitter back to life by powering it from the cigarette lighter adapter instead of AAA batteries. So I can listen to my mp3s when I drive now. This pleases me.

1 comment:

Michael DelGaudio said...

Ahhhh! I love it. I can hear Iltrish saying, 'what is this, grand slam'?